It’s not difficult to keep your mobility scooter in tip-top running condition. Because the majority run on sealed gel batteries, you won’t have to worry about leakage, while high-quality charging systems prolong battery life. Built-in safety devices are designed to keep your scooter safe, minimizing injury risk. And the controls that govern acceleration and braking are solid-state, requiring little maintenance. However, periodic maintenance checks will keep your scooter running smoothly for many years.
Following is a simple maintenance checklist:
- Before you use your mobility scooter, read your manual thoroughly. The instruction manual will have great maintenance tips.
- Before you get on your scooter, check your ignition to make sure it starts.
- Once your scooter is started, try your horn and indicator lights to be certain they are sure your horn and indicator lights are working properly. If they are not, your battery may be weakening.
- Check your seat and arm rest to make sure they are secure. Tighten if necessary.
- Follow the manufacturer’s battery maintenance schedule so you will know how to properly charge your batteries and how often to charge them.
- Clean your scooter daily. A damp cloth will remove most dust and smudges.
- Check your tires frequently to make sure they have the proper air pressure or are not worn. Small, inflatable tires tend to lose pressure easily.
- Keep your scooter dry. Do not drive it through puddles or wet lawns. Even routine household moisture can rust your scooter. Most importantly, keep it out of the rain; cover the scooter if it is necessary to leave it outside.
- Take your scooter to a repair shop for regular maintenance and safety inspections. A qualified maintenance shop can check your belts, make sure your motor is operating property and keep your machine lubricated if you are unable to do so yourself.
Proper care and maintenance will keep your mobility scooter running safely. After all, it’s one of the most valuable and necessary products you own – it makes sense to make sure your scooter is working properly at all times.